The Haven Camp program's purpose is to provide a safe, fun, community camp environment. Although we recognize the need for respite care, that is not our purpose. In order for our program to be successful the following criteria must be met:
1. The campers must be able to participate in simple crafts, some physical activity, some response to music and speakers, etc.
2. The campers must be able to control themselves in an appropriate manner so we can provide a safe, fun, community environment for everyone.
3. The campers must be able to take care of their own personal needs, i.e. dressing, personal hygiene and showering with minimal assistance.
4. The campers must be continent. We ask that the campers be able to express their needs in some manner.
5. Camper who use a wheelchair should be able to transfer independently into and out of the wheelchair (i.e. to a bed, using a toilet, transfer to chair, etc.), as well as navigate their wheelchair independently or with minimal assistance.
6. At camp, the ground can be uneven and in some place rocky. Please be mindful of this if the camper has difficulty with ambulation or gait (i.e. if using a walker or cane).
7. Our counselors are here to guide the campers with the camp program. They are not trained nursing assistants but instead are individuals with training only to meet the campers' basic and simple needs. Our counselor to camper ratio ranges from 1:2 to 1:4.
If you have any questions or a special circumstance, please feel free to contact the camp office and talk with our Haven Camp Director. Our number is 315-336-7210 and it's best to call between 9:30am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
Haven Camps, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Lake, Inc. Located in Rome, NY since 1924, Delta Lake is a year-round camp and conference center.
Haven Camps began at Delta Lake in 1971 and continues to impact lives and provide quality campers and retreats for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
For more information about Delta Lake, click the link below to go to their website.